VOICE 4 Girls: Research and Content Development Officer
Position: Research and Content Development Officer
Type: Full time
Company: VOICE 4 Girls
Location: Based in Hyderabad
Reports to: Executive Director
Founded in 2011, VOICE 4 Girls is a start-up social enterprise whose mission is to enable marginalized adolescent girls in India to take charge of their futures by imparting critical knowledge, spoken English, and life skills through activity based camps. Currently operating in India, we carry out our mission through out-of-school camps. The program provides girls in India with the practical tools and knowledge needed to overcome the adversity they face. Through VOICE’s unique English immersion curriculum, participants are exposed to topics such as body awareness, community safety, and career opportunities. Activity-based learning and open discussion provide a forum where girls can find their own voices and develop the confidence needed to succeed. VOICE aims to reach thousands of girls across the developing world and inspire the next generation of women to take their futures into their own hands.
The Research and Content Development Officer will develop educational materials for VOICE 4 Girls’ core programming initiatives and other associated tasks. The key roles and tasks are given below:
- Research, outline, and write regionally relevant modules that impart critical knowledge, life skills and leadership life-skills to adolescent girls, while directing the facilitators on how to manage the classroom, facilitate the activities and run camp.
- Create activity-based curriculum that can be implemented with minimal resources.
- Develop English content in the areas of grammar, vocabulary and spoken English.
- Develop manuals and training sessions for VOICE facilitators. Think of innovative ways to engage and educate the trainers (technology, peer to peer learning etc)
- Analyse feedback from stakeholder focus groups as well as written reports. Assess feedback from previous camp years and make recommendations for revision as well as map new content for additional chapters.
- Evaluate existing VOICE programming and making recommendations for improvement and development. Research best practices for gender programming and education.
- Monitor the program during implementation and evaluate it and revise as needed.
- Co-ordinate with other VOICE teams and service providers (graphic designers, copyeditors and illustrators) to ensure timely delivery of books and manuals.
- Co-ordinate with translators to make sure that content is translated as and when required.
- Develop IEC materials such as flipbooks and charts
- Train counsellors and field co-ordinators on VOICE modules as and when required.
Requirements for candidates:
- Minimum of 2-3 years of work experience
- Ability and willingness to travel to rural schools/locations.
- Strong English writing and communication skills
- Outstanding organizational skills and work ethic
- Strong MS Word skills
- Background in teaching or education is preferable
- Knowledge of spoken Telugu will be an advantage
Desired criteria for candidates:
- Ability to think independently and be proactive without constant supervision
- Passion for gender development and empowering adolescent girls
- Knowledge of issues pertaining to the development and education of girls
- Experience in the field of education and teaching
- Past experience in content development
Why should you join us:
- The chance to work with an innovative, impact-driven organization that is rapidly expanding
- The opportunity for independent, creative, challenging, and rewarding work!
- To gain valuable experience and skills in curriculum development and project management for an enterprising non-profit
How to apply:
Please email resume/CV, a cover letter outlining your related skills as well as your interest in this organization/role, a creative writing sample to email@example.com
Please make sure that your cover letter includes answers to the following questions:
- Have you previously designed or taught educational curriculum?
- If yes, describe one of the projects you worked on and teaching materials that you created?
- If no, why would you like to develop curriculum and why do you think you are a good fit for this position?
- What does ‘Empowerment’ mean to you? What is your vision of a world where woman and girls are empowered?
- In what kind of environment do you think students learn best? Describe an ideal classroom.