Location: Pune. The position requires frequent travelling.
Reports to Senior Programme Officer
Attractive salary and social security benefits commensurate with skills and experience
Last date for applications: January 15, 2019
Contract 3-year fixed term with 6 months probation period
One of Switzerland’s leading aid organisations, SWISSAID is an international not for profit organization working in nine countries across the world. SWISSAID is a liberal organization without religious or political affiliations. SWISSAID has been active in India for more than five decades.
SWISSAIDs work in India is focused on two themes Small Scale Farming and Gender Equality. The programme on Small scale farming seeks to reduce vulnerability of small farmer communities to climate and social shocks. The programme works with tribal and other forest dependent communities, small and marginal farmers, women and youth across 6 states of India. The key focus areas are ecological agriculture, sustainable management of forests and fisheries, income generation and effective implementation of government safety net programmes. Community Institution building and Gender Mainstreaming are central to this work. A core approach of SWISSAID is to strengthen the local civil society to address the challenges faced by the disadvantaged groups.
Scope of Job
• Development and monitoring of SWISSAID’s country program specifically related to tribal livelihoods. The incumbent will be responsible for designing and managing two projects one on strengthening tribal livelihoods through promoting ecological farming including mixed cropping, kitchen gardens, soil and water conservation, and second on sustainable management of forests and fisheries
• Accompaniment and monitoring of projects and partnerships
• Facilitating linkages with Government programmes
• Public Relation, information work and fundraising
Key roles and responsibilities
1. Accompaniment and monitoring of projects and partnerships to achieve the agreed results (approximately 55%)
• Develop project proposals (in the SWISSAID template) together with partner organizations taking into consideration the needs of the communities and the outcomes of the Country Programme Plan
• Undertake partner visits to provide accompaniment support to help partners achieve project outcomes.
• Identify training needs and support capacity-building of partner organizations
• Review and /or draft project reports and accounts
• Manage the Monitoring and Evaluation System
• Inform partner organizations about SWISSAID policies, programs and activities.
• Ensure compliance of projects with SWISSAID quality management, procedures and guidelines as stated in the Set of SWISSAID Reference Documents
• Monitor and enforce deadlines with partner organizations according to operational planning
• Inform/consult with the Senior Programme Officer in the event of significant modifications in project content and budget or serious problems in a project
2. Development and monitoring of SWISSAID’s country program (approximately 20%)
• Participate in the elaboration of the five-year strategic planning and annual report
• Provide strategic inputs to develop the programme on tribal livelihoods
• Monitor and review the country program against strategic program objectives (in collaboration with the Country Representative)
• Identify new potential partner organizations
• Foster networks between civil society organizations
• Promote the partner organizations’ awareness of gender and of social inequalities and facilitate actions and instruments to address them within the country program
3. Facilitate linkages with Government programmes (approximately 15%)
• Build awareness among partners about different government policies and programmes
• Support partners in developing strategies to enable the poor to benefit from government programmes
• Foster and participate in networks on thematic priorities of the SWISSAID country program
4. Public Relation, information work and fundraising (approximately 10%)
• Draft fund raising and communication materials on SWISSAID and its program in the country for information and fundraising work
• Contribute to fundraising activities in concordance with the respective guidelines
Qualifications and Experience
• Post Graduate Degree in Social Science/ Economics/ Agriculture/ Humanities.
• Eight years’ experience of working in the development sector, in the fields of agriculture, forestry or livelihoods, out of which minimum three years should have been with a grassroots development organisation.
• Demonstrated experience and track record of strengthening tribal livelihoods: facilitating strong peoples institutions to gain rights over and manage natural resources, promote ecological farming, market produce and link with the government programmes.
• Strong commitment towards addressing gender discrimination and the rights of marginalized persons;
• Good understanding of key challenges being faced by tribals in India and Government policies and programmes to improve tribal livelihoods
• Proven track record of accompaniment of grassroots development projects;
• Ability to develop strong, positive relationship internally with team members and externally with stakeholders, funders, social networks and other organizations;
• Well-developed analytical, conceptual and writing skills
• Experience of monitoring and evaluation
• Fluency in written and spoken English and Hindi;
• Willingness to travel extensively;
• Proficient in word, excel, PowerPoint and SPSS
How to apply
Interested candidates please send a copy of your recent CV and a covering letter, with a one page note describing how your qualification and experience makes you suitable for the above position to: email@example.com
Due to the high volume of response to our advertisements, we will only respond to short listed candidates.
For more information about SWISSAID please visit our website: www.swissaid.ch
Job Email id: firstname.lastname@example.org