Location: Kolkata, with frequent travels to project locations in the country. Other travel within & outside country will also be there as & when required.
Supervisor: Country Representative
Working relationship: Actively coordinates with all thematic Team Leads i.e. Child Protection, Maternal Child Health & Nutrition (MCH&N), WASH, Fund Raising, Finance & Administration. S/he also has dotted line contact with the Regional DRR Focal Point based out of Tdh IDO in Kolkata.
Duration of assignment: Initial contract for 1 year with 3 months probation; renewable based upon performance.
Start date: 1st April 2019
Tdh Foundation an international NGO working for the rights of children in 48 countries, has been operating in India since the 1970s, but is registered as Liaison Office since 2008. The India Delegation Office (IDO) is located in Kolkata, with a team of 16; including one expatriate (Country Representative). With the main operational team based in Kolkata, we are looking for a National Programme Coordinator to represent Tdh from Kolkata and to oversee, support and ensure quality operations from the Kolkata IDO.
Tdh’s main programme priorities in India are Tackling Child labour in value chains, unsafe migration, Maternal and Child health, WASH, Disaster Risk Management and Emergency response. Our interventions have covered the states of West Bengal, Jharkhand, Assam, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Odisha. Tdh has recently taken up an emergency recovery project in Alleppy district of Kerala State, after the state faced an unprecedented rainfall in the month of August 2018.Tdh in India provides technical guidance and support to government structures and civil society organisations to defend and promote children’s rights. All projects in India are implemented through local NGO partners.
Overview of the position:
The National Programme Coordinator will support the Country Representative (CR) to coordinate and manage all activities linked to Terre des hommes projects in India: project cycle management, networking, staff management, safety and security, finance and administration and national and international fund raising. S/he will support Terre des hommes’ local partners in India; management and development of the organization’s intervention strategy with the CR.
Strategy and institutional policy
• Ensures implementation and compliance to the Terre des hommes Foundation Strategic Plan, Terre des hommes regional strategic plan and Terre des hommes thematic policies in the field,
Project cycle management
• Supports CR to manage, supervise and coordinate all the activities related to the implementation of Terre des hommes’ projects in India according to the proposal guidelines and indicators, budget and work plans,
• In consultation with CR, develops new projects in-line with Terre des hommes strategic plan and thematic policies,
• Develops annual and/or project work plans,
• Supports the development of monitoring and evaluation systems for all project work,
• Together with the Senior Management Team and the project staff, reviews the progress of each project monthly,
• With the technical support of the Resource Persons (thematic), monitors the quality of the work carried out and suggests means of improvements,
• Assesses the efficacy and effectiveness of the work carried out and identifies ways for further improvements.
• Provides the CR with quality monthly activity reports (SIT REPS) and annual reports in line with projects objectives and indicators
• Works with the CR and/or the donors with quality intermediate and final project reports as per contract.
• Ensures a tight follow up of all budgets including donors contracts and works with CR to take necessary actions in case of over/under expenditure,
• Works with the finance and admin coordinator on budgeting, accounting and auditing as required.
Human resources management
• Manages (supervision, support, training, etc.) Terre des hommes employees in India, expatriates as well as local staff,
• Supports with the Recruitment of Terre des hommes local staff.
Representation and networking
• Represents the organization in country, particularly to the government, official agencies, other non-governmental agencies, partners and the community,
• Ensures that all formalities required by the government and other official agencies are properly prepared and punctually presented,
• Actively participates in meetings and fora organized by the GO/NGO/UN sectors as relevant to Terre des hommes work in the country,
• Liaises strategically with Government representatives as well as with potential in-country donors.
• Identifies new funding sources, both institutional and private
• Initiates and leads the development of new project proposals,
• Ensure that contracts, rules and procedures meet all requirements of national law.
• Undertakes other duties that may be defined by Terre des hommes India CR
• Terre des hommes expects that its contractors’ professional conduct reflect proper behavior in accordance with local culture and traditions. The incumbent assures the moral protection of the name of Terre des hommes and defends in all circumstances the interests of the movement.
Education: Post Graduation in related field such as Social Work, Public Health, Nutrition, International Development. Additional qualification in Project Management is advantage.
Language: Excellent oral and writing skills in English. Fluency (verbal & written) in Bengali & Hindi is highly desirable.
Experiences and aptitudes:
• At least 10 years of proven experience in relevant field with NGO / INGO, of which minimum 5 years in senior management position.
• Successful track record of programmatic and operational strategies and securing high levels of funding from institutional donors
• Successful track record of securing funding from private donors (Corporate Social Responsibility, Foundations etc.). Experience in private sector engagement is an asset.
• Extensive project management experience (management; planning.
• Excellent knowledge of Project Cycle Management (PCM) and strong command of PCM tools.
• Staff development and training skills; management experience and strong team leadership qualities
• Very good command on Budgetary control & management.
• Ability to work well and punctually under pressure
• A commitment to excellence; attention to detail willingness to travel up to 25% of the time
• Autonomy, ability to decide and negotiation skills
• Communicates in a clear, concise and responsible way
• Manages stress and emotions
• Manages conflicts in a constructive way
• Encourages and supports the development of staff competencies
• Knows and respects the rules and processes of the different domains concerning one’s activities
• Transforms the innovations into shared good practices
• Acts as a complexity reducer by translating the organizational strategy into clear priorities, goals and operational actions
Child Safeguarding Policy:
• To commit to respect Tdh Risk Management Policies including: Child Safeguarding Policy, Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption Policy, Whistle Blowing Policy
• To commit to ensure the best implementation possible of the Tdh Risk Management Policies in India.
• To commit to inform supervisors and to deal with any cases, allegations, or possibility of transgression, even potential, of the Tdh Risk Management Policies
Recruitment & Remuneration
Interested candidates should apply with a covering letter explaining how your skills and experiences match the requirements mentioned above, along with a Bio data to email@example.com. The Closing date of applications is 27th January 2019.
Please note that as per Tdh Child Safeguarding Policy, one of the references mentioned in the CV needs to be the candidate’s current or immediate past employer. The references will be contacted soon after the job offer is made. Furthermore, for candidates with equivalent qualifications and for positions with responsibilities, applications from women are strongly encouraged.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please note that Tdh does not reimburse any travel allowance or daily allowance for attending interviews.
Monthly salary for this position is INR 1,00,000/- based as per candidate’s experience and skills. In addition, Tdh also extends Gratuity benefit to its employees as applicable under the law, and provides Insurance cover to its employees for Accidental; and Health Insurance for employee, spouse & children (limited to two children).
The recruitment and selection procedures of Terre des hommes reflect our commitment to child security and safeguarding.
Job Email id: firstname.lastname@example.org