The Supreme Council for Women in Bahrain, in partnership with UN Women, launched the Global Award for Women's Empowerment on the margins of the Commission of the Status of Women.
The award, which will celebrate and recognize the achievements of champions of women's equality globally, will be awarded in 2018 and subsequently every three years.
Specifically the award aims to:
- Highlight the importance and impact of the commitment of countries, official agencies and organizations through their legislative, public and private executive authorities, civil society in addition to individuals to adopt non-discriminatory policies against women.
- Achieve justice and equal opportunities between women and men
- Show appreciation to institutional and individual efforts, initiatives and projects that target mainstreaming women’s rights.
- Encourage communities to stimulate their intellectuality and creativity in the field of women´s empowerment in order to achieve for women, their family and community, more social, economic and political security.
The award will have four categories:
1) Public sector: Recognizing the achievements of a government institution for their work on women's empowerment
2) Private sector: Celebrating the achievements of a firm that has truly embodied gender equality, and has introduced innovative and ground breaking measures to ensure women's engagement and leadership
3) Civil society:Recognizing the work of a civil society association for women's empowerment. This category aims to highlight specifically those who fill the gap and provide a niche in the area where no one else is doing so.
4) Individual: Recognizing the work of an individual for women's empowerment. This category aims to highlight specifically those who fill the gap and provide a niche in the area where no one else is doing so
Applications will be accepted until August 31, 2018 (GMT+3). Apply online from April 2018. Applicants will be required to highlight the impact they have made, their strategic approach, the how, what and overall impact and sustainability.
Applications will be reviewed by a global panel of judges, who will assess applicants against the award criteria.
The winners will be announced in a ceremony to be determined at a later stage.
Eligibility criteria for all 4 categories is listed below:
- Have introduced a new concept for women’s empowerment aligned to sustainable development goals, and goal 5 in particular, the Beijing Platform for Action, CEDAW and other global instruments related to women´s empowerment, in the context of our organization/country/region;
- Have used creativity and innovation to address challenges of gender inequality, using new solutions to address old problems;
- Are able to measure change as a result of our work on women´s empowerment;
- Have provided increased access to high quality and affordable service delivery for women;
- Are working towards ending all forms of violence against women and girls, including harmful practices and attitudes;
- Have introduced changes in employment policies, including recruitment, promotion, training, compensation and career management policies, to bridge the gender gap in women in the workforce, management positions and the gender pay gap;
- Are working towards women in leadership positions in public and private life, and women´s meaningful engagement in policy and legislative decision making;
- Are working towards engaging women in peace and security processes, including promoting women´s rights to be in peace negotiations and to be meaningfully engaged in political transitions;
- Have introduced legislative and policy measures that further the rights of women in our community/institution/government;
- Are able to communicate our results, show that it can be taken to scale, and demonstrate sustainability;
- Have engaged youth, and young women in particular, in addressing the challenges and identifying solutions.
Note, you may apply in one of the four categories only
Individual women's empowerment champions, civil society, public and private institutions are encouraged to apply.